Friday, August 30, 2019

A Guardian Home gem named DIESEL is looking to join a gentle family.

Diesel is quite relaxed sitting by my large flower pot in front of our door.
YES, Diesel is still here because he deserves a wonderful guardian home that is searching for a great puppy to add love, smiles and fun into their lives.

When I went to take Diesel for a walk on our road, I realized he was NOT happy to have cars or trucks whizzing by him, he actually FROZE.  I knew immediately that I had to desensitize him to that 'sound'.  I began by working with him in my front yard where he had the opportunity to run back to the front door each time a car or truck went by.  I then grabbed some cooked chicken, a leash and harness and kept him with me when those vehicles went by.  I redirected him to pay attention to me as the nasty 'noise' passed.  Once he realized he was safe, he began to relax and only showed a mild awareness of the vehicles going by.  Then I moved to my driveway with the same 'equipment' and repeated the same formula.  Before long, he was walking just fine up and down my driveway getting his goodies, pats and encouragement from me.  Lastly, I got him to cross the street with me and repeated it again.  He also met a couple of our town workers to say 'Hello' to as cars went by.

Yesterday, I took him to two garden nurseries to meet strangers and say 'Hello'.  He was perfect.  When not in my arms, he sat by my feet as I talked or browsed.  Everyone thought he was so gorgeous and sweet.  Each day, I expose him to something new and repeat the steps with regard to the car noise.  He has no reaction to vacuums, mowers, etc.  He is very good on car rides, no vomiting or whining.  Diesel comes when called and sleeps very well in his crate from 10 pm to about 6 am.  When I am busy, Diesel stays in his safe zone where his crate is with the door off.  This is a perfect set up for a pup.  He is so easy to have around - even my girls don't mind him too much.  Daisy and Gunny, his mom, play pretty rough with him and he is submissive and respectful.  Olive growls at him all the time and Harriet grumbles but likes him.  Willis is unfazed when he is around.

Remember to read about a Guardian Home for Diesel on this blog further down the posts.  I am particular about grooming, vaccines/flea tick products, food and training!  I want my doodles to be healthy and happy, so good food, minimal vaccines and positive training are very important to me.  Diesel is very food motivated and learns quickly. :+)


No comments:

Post a Comment