Wednesday, December 23, 2020

An experiment.

 As breeders, we are often looking for ways to improve.  An article by a fellow breeder talked about materials to use for very young puppies to minimize those little feet from slipping so much as they nurse or try to move.  We use pee pads, vet bed, rugs, blankets - all types of 'bedding' for their comfort as well as trying to prevent slipping. While shopping one day, I thought that maybe a product called 'no slip snow mats' might be worth a try.  At first, I thought they would be too rough on their skin, but the 'co co' fibers are not prickly like those fiber shoe brushes because they are woven.  They just provide a dry, porous surface.

Here is the result of my experiment.  It will take me a few days to see how the fiber mat works out but I immediately saw that their traction was greatly improved!  It is porous, so I do have a pee pad under the mat, but so far - so good! I imagine a shower every now and again will keep the mat clean and allowing it to dry naturally will prevent it from crumbling.  That is the next experiment - what kind of life span does it have?  Always looking for way to keep pups happy and healthy.  :+)






4 comments:

  1. While it’s not my calling to be a breeder, I find the practices of responsible breeding fascinating. There’s so much more to it than I ever knew. A loving combination of science, art, intuition and - of course - love. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your constant positive comments and encouragement, Anne-Marie. It is guardians like you that make my job easier. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's hope so, Kathleen. Hugs, Joyce

    ReplyDelete