Saturday, March 7, 2020

Sadie got the jump on me! She whelped TODAY! Updated with pics!

I had Jonnie visitors planned for this morning and afternoon, so a busy day.  The morning visitors came and I checked on Sadie - all was well.  I made lunch for Jonnie's pups and myself and when I was done, went to check on Sadie again.  Lo and behold she had her first pup!  Not a sound was made from Sadie!  She did appear confused about the pup though!  This is quite normal and by the time the second was born, Sadie settled in and did what comes naturally.

Whelping is messy and you need to keep changing the pads so the pups don't get chilled.  I opted to put Sadies' two pups in my Puppy Bunting which is heated as a chilled pup will not nurse!  Sadie is right by them checking all the time.  :+)

I thought I might get a surprise as the potential was there in the combination of color DNA.  What I did NOT expect was only one chocolate born!  Now, technically, Caramels are considered 'blond chocolate'.  Have you ever tried Paneuche Fudge?  It is delicious but not brown in color.  There certainly is a variety in this litter.  :+) 

Here is the order of birth:

  1. Rocky (ID Collar is Grey) - The only male in the litter!  He is also the smallest at 5 7/8 ounces.  Black/Tan Phantom. 
  2. Fern (Green Collar) - Female.  I believe Fern is a chocolate abstract.  Fern has bits of white on toes, chin and chest.  8 1/4 ounces.
  3. Bluebelle (Blue Collar) - Female. 'Big' Bluebelle is either a Caramel or an Apricot.  10 1/8 oz.  
  4. Copper (Orange Collar - Female.  Now this was a surprise.  Copper is a Sable - my first one ever but I knew it could happen with this mating.  She is 'reddish/apricot' in color but will have black tipping on some of the areas of her coat like her face, fringe of her ears, tail and sometimes her body.  When cut short, you would only see the tipping on her ears or face.  Most sables develop into a deep apricot color with just fringes of black tipping on the ears.
  5.  Iris (Purple Collar) - Female. One that could be Caramel or Apricot/Cream.
  6. Raven - (Black Collar) - Female.  Black solid.
So, Mother Nature really shook up the deck! - A Phantom, an Abstract, a Sable, a Solid and possibly a couple of Caramels or Apricots.  What a shuffle!!  :+)

Sadie is resting comfortably.  Maybe a pic tomorrow.  I also have an appointment to have Sadie and pups vet checked on Monday morning and once done will contact those on her list for a $500 deposit.  Please take the time to read about ASSIGNMENTS under the PUPPY PREP TAB before committing.  If you already know you are going to pass on this litter, PLEASE let me know!  I would appreciate that very much.  Thank you.





8 comments:

  1. OMG! We’ll be staying tuned.
    Warm wishes to all 🥰

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waiting for one more before giving the lowdown - such surprises!!

      Delete
  2. O my GOSH! So exciting Joyce! Glad I check this daily ;) what a lovely day to be born!! :) -Blakeley

    ReplyDelete
  3. It certainly is. I love the blue skies and bright sunshine! A great 'BIRTH' DAY! :+)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing assortment of colors! So happy to hear everyone is safe and sounds!!! Can wait for pictures :) thanks Joyce!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadie looks great - and what a colorful litter! Congratulations & thank you for sharing the pictures 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadie is doing well. Not eating as much as I would like her to but to be honest, it takes about three days after birthing for them to develop a ravenous appetite. :+)

      Delete