Thursday, September 3, 2009

Labradoodle Registries and why I don't belong.

The brief answer is I don't like the politics of being in a club/registry.

They do have a function and some of them, especially the Australian Labradoodle Association of America (ALAA) have a wonderful database of pedigrees which is extremely helpful to so many breeders of our hybrid. I thought of joining the newest 'kid in town' registry, namely the Association of Reputable Breeders (ARB) but when I questioned them regarding calling my vet about my testing protocol, they informed me that they did not ask that question at all, but just wanted to be sure that my dogs DID visit my vet for routine care. Hmmmmm.... that was all??? I found their testing requirements to be reputable well below my normal, routine testing requirements, so I passed on joining. They did have an interesting paragraph on being mediators if a problem should arise with a client, but if you are already honest, ethical and run a program with integrity, you should be able to mediate any issues that might occur.

Registries are quite simply - a club. I have been in many clubs in my lifetime and don't wish to join another at the moment. As I said, I don't like the politics. Yes, I have checked all of them out, but the goals I have set for my program have always exceeded every single registry available in the past and present. When there is one that is equal to what I do routinely in testing, I will consider joining. I do consider the goals that the registries provide for producing puppies that will improve on the breed very important and the proof of complying to this can be seen on my website via the puppy pics and adults. My testing protocol on every dog is also posted for all to see as explained on the Home Page of this website.

I like things simple and I prefer my website to be a place of information. I do not wish to banter on which type of Labradoodle is better; but rather which type of Labradoodle is the right one for you, the client. Yes, I definitely read the information on the many registries and I strive to produce Labradoodles of exceptional pet quality.

I love and own the Australian Labradoodle lines that include the American or English Spaniels and their Spoodle/Cockapoo blends over the other Australian lines that are primarily Poodle. By blending the American Labradoodles in my breeding program, I keep the Lab genes in the Labradoodle and prevent inbreeding by keeping the pedigrees clean. I adore using a quality tested Cockapoo hybrid as well to add nice coats and to keep the size to a medium with excellent boning. I like my formula and I hope you like it too.

2 comments:

  1. Joyce -- I love your formula! Ledley hit 30lbs this weekend and we couldn't be happier with his personality. This was a very interesting post, although it took me a little while to see it. One of the main reasons we chose you as our breeder was exactly the fact that you have an open, honest, and ethical program apparent both on the website and in speaking with you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Angela. I wish clients looking for pets held pedigree transparency and ethical breeding practices in higher esteem.

    Glad to hear that Ledley is all you had hoped for. :+)

    ReplyDelete