Thursday, September 22, 2011

An introduction to Jaxon - Parts 1 and 2

Part 1:

Due to my husband's hip surgery, I did not breed two of my girls this spring. Carl is healing slowly but consistently which has given me a lull in my breeding program. It also afforded me the extra time to research for the addition of a possible new stud for Annabelle Doodles.



















I would like you to welcome 'Percy Jaxon'. As with all my dogs, his name has a story. If you have avid young readers in your home, you may be familiar with the trilogy 'The Lightening Thief'. The young hero is named Percy Jackson, but I prefer the more unique spelling of the young hero's last name. Jaxon has a light red and white 'tuxedo' pattern and should weigh 18 lbs. or so at maturity. I expect him to be about 16 inches in height.

Jax is a second generation Cockapoo. The experience of integrating my first generation ALAA approved Cockapoo, 'Coriander', into one of my lines has provided me with valuable experience with regard to using this foundation breed infusion. I used him twice but only kept back one pup named 'Holiday Figgy Puddin'. She is gorgeous.

So many people do not realize that in order to be an 'Australian' Labradoodle, there MUST be genetic DNA material by at least three different foundation dog breeds. From heritage DNA done by many breeders in the U.S., we found that the majority of breeds that comprised the Australian Labradoodle were the Poodle, Labrador and Spaniel varieties - hence my interest.
(Please read about what constitutes an American vs. Australian Labradoodle
on my Home Page.)


To be honest, I have always liked the looks of a well balanced Cockapoo. The heads have a nice broadness with a shorter muzzle; the eyes have a soft expression; the coat is silkier and the body has a nicely squared, sturdy confirmation. It is also a breed that is considered 'allergy' friendly - an essential element.

When considering the introduction of a foundation dog, it is extremely important to be able to trace the AKC pedigrees on both the Spaniel and the Poodle that produced the Cockapoo. If you are lucky enough to find Champion stock in both lines, this shows correct confirmation and type for each breed. Jaxon's foundation lines show 14 Champions scattered throughout five generations. His Cockapoo father, Koala Mars, is in the ALAA's Labradoodle Registry database as an accredited infusion for the Australian Labradoodle's breeding criteria. To date, his progeny have been shown to have a strong, solid health foundation which is so important for the future health of the Australian Labradoodle. His Cockapoo mom, with the romantic name of 'Juliet', has numerous Champions in her American Cocker Spaniel lines.

As with all our doodles, Jaxon will need to pass our stringent testing protocol before being used as a stud at Annabelle Doodles. He will, however, be available immediately for a guardian home.

Part 2:

I thought you would be interested in Jaxon's parents and what they look like.


Comments from her breeder:

'Juliet' is a beautiful, friendly, outgoing dog. She wants to play with everyone - adults and children - and gets along very well with all the other dogs. She is curious and playful, yet very sweet and obedient. Juliet had her first litter of puppies in Feb. 2011, and she is a wonderful mama to all 8 of them!'





Juliet - 17 lb.
Height: 15" to back; 20" to head
F1 (1st Generation)
Apricot - BBee
CERF clear
DNA tested
patellas normal
AKC traceable











Mars, Jaxon's sire has a very social calendar and rightly so, he is definitely a favorite of many furry females.

Comments from his new owner:

'Mars is a beautiful red tuxedo F1 (first generation) Cockapoo. He joined us in November 2010. He came to us from a labradoodle breeder in OR, and he is a sweet, friendly dog. We love him! He is fully tested for health and genetics. '





Mars - 16 lb.
Height: 14" to back; 18 " to head
F1 (1st Generation)
Red tuxedo
BBee
AKC traceable
OFA certified hips, elbows good; patellas normal
CERF clear
DNA tested

4 comments:

  1. Oh my. I'm smitten! I love his markings, and what a sweet, sweet face! Congratulations, Joyce :-) I hope his testing goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    I am looking forward to meeting him but wanted to share. Jax arrives next week and I hope he will be a dear.

    Since puppies won't be arriving until January or so, this was a perfect time to get a pup to socialize and begin training.

    Jaxon has the type of markings that I really love (Tuxedo) and I hope he makes his mark here at Annabelle Doodles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I love that Tuxedo look as well. We're hoping for a black and white Tuxedo for our next doodle (yes, there is constant talk about the right timing for our next doodle! Once you have one, it's hard not to add another one!)

    Just so you know, Lila and I check your regularly, for news and updates, and so we can follow along from the beginning with your next litters. It's so much fun watching the whole thing unfold on your blog, even when they aren't "our" puppies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, that is my goal as well - I want a black and white Tuxedo. I just love them!

    ReplyDelete