Saturday, February 7, 2009

The time of Maple's whelping is fast approaching!

Hello!

With Maple's litter expected in a few days, I am diligently working on the puppy room in preparation for our 'furry valentines'! There is so much to do as dust has settled on everything and that room tends to allow me to be a 'pack rat' when I don't have pups. So I must reorganize my cabinet, remove the entire contents of the room, steam and disinfect from ceiling to floor and scrub, scrub and scrub somemore. It will easily take me a couple of days, but Maple will be arriving on Monday and her 'quarters' should be spic and span by then.

My plan is to set up a pup tent (literally) in the room so that she feels cozy and safe from my other girls. The 'denlike' atmosphere and the fact that my other girls can't see her, should ease any anxiety she may feel knowing there are other dogs in the house. Of course, there is a high gate as well as a door for added safety.

Right now, my husband is working on regulating the radiant floor in the room and tweaking the heater for added warmth. There will be a heating pad inside the tent as newborns cannot regulate their body heat for about two weeks. If Maple is anything like her mommy, Annabelle, she will keep all her babies snuggy warm with her ample thick coat.

When Cadbury is bred, we will be doing the exact opposite and regulating the room for air conditioning! Right now, my plan is to breed her with Rumple or Smitty for chocolate/cafe and 'white' chocolate delights for homes later this summer. It is going to be busy around here for some time!

Keep tuned for updates. :+)

No comments:

Post a Comment