Monday, May 6, 2013

Flea and Tick treatments.

PLEASE research reactions on any and all Flea and Tick treatments before putting on your pet.  There have been numerous reactions to Vectra, Advantix, Frontline etc.  A lot of dogs that have the worse reactions are cream or smaller dogs BUT don't let that give you a sense of security.  Ask questions, look for Google sites that explain about the ingredients and don't think your vet knows everything.  Remember, they ARE a business.

Consider using a natural remedy like products that contain Lemongrass, Citronella, Peppermint, Rosemary or Thyme oils.  Dab it on a scarf and put that on your dog.  Remember dogs have a much more sensitive nose than we do, so you don't need much.  It may not be as effective as the commercial products but none of the commercial products are 100% effective.  They are, however, 100% chemical based.  There is no perfect solution to these pests except you checking your dogs and removing the ticks as soon as possible and frequent baths during this time.

I don't have a magic pill but I refuse to knowingly put chemicals on my doodles here at home that I know can cause such awful reactions.  So far, I have been quite happy with using natural ingredient herbal oils.  Insects are highly sensitive to smell and heat, so if the 'smell' of the oils repels them, they won't land to bite.   Just be sure to spray your dogs daily or dab on the scarfs.

Some sites I have used with decent results are:
  • Green Hope Farms - They use flower essences
  • The Natural Path in Dover, NH.  They have many blends for insect repellents
  • Joyce Belcher of Herbs for Life at York, Maine  800-510-9597
  • I like these two as well:  http://shop.mercola.com/catalog/fleas-and-ticks,99,9.htm for ticks, etc. and this one too for the same:  http://www.holisticfamilyandpets.com/  I use both these products and am happy with the results.  No, it is not 100% but neither are all the other chemical products recommended by your vets.
Consider the gentler alternatives to keep away these pests.  A recent update has been promoting a collar that is both children and pet friendly and also excellent for killing and controlling fleas and ticks.  It is called Seresto from Bayer.  It is an expensive collar ($50 to $70) BUT it lasts for about 8 months which is cheap for one season of protection from these nasty predators!  It is definitely worth looking into and comparing using the chemical based monthly spot ons versus the collar which still works when wet from swimming, etc. It has been used in Europe but is new to the U.S.  Read the reviews yourself and make an informed choice!

3 comments:

  1. Great advice, Joyce, and timely! I don't like the chemical "preventive" treatments - besides the fact that they are chemicals, they leave the dog's coat greasy, like an oil slick was spilled on them. I like the scarf idea - the girls love putting bandana's on Albert anyway, and he tolerates that very well, so we'll just add some scents to those :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you feel about the new flea/tick preventative Nexguard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will always choose a holistic method over any type of chemical treatment. My results from using the Holistic Family and Pets velcro collars have been excellent and I highly recommend them. They are imbibed with oils from nature and the 'bugs' seem to hate the smell/body electrical charges that these collars provide. I cannot smell a thing on the collars but I can tell you they work. I even use one on my wrist when outdoors. :+) If I can use the same thing my dogs do, I know they are safe. Try dosing yourself with Frontline....... not wise!

      Delete