Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The 'term' I.C. - Incorrect Coat or Furnishings - What does this mean?

Under my CURRENT BREEDERS testing protocol, you will notice the inclusion of  'I.C.' or the term 'recessive for I.C. which means that doodle is a "Carrier".  This is NOT a health issue at all - it just means that puppies may have a smooth face like an Irish Water Spaniel but still have lots of curls, waves, etc. on the rest of their body.

This is what every Irish Water Spaniel looks like and is proper for that breed.  So having a smooth face is not the 'look' we strive for in a Labradoodle but it is not unhealthy. Actually, many people like a smooth face as there is no facial hair to keep trimming; no water drops from drinking, no eye 'boggers', no beards to get dirty, etc.  HOWEVER, it is not the preferred 'look', so breeders like myself try to minimize the expression by testing and choosing mates that will not produce one.


If I were to breed Dancing Matilda aka Tillie to Jaxon, the resulting litter could produce SOME puppies with smooth faces like the above Irish Water Spaniel because both Tillie and Jaxon are Carriers of the IC gene.  So, I am looking for a different stud to use that will produce the parti pattern but be clear of IC.  We will see how successful I will be.  

Happily, Tillie is not in cycle yet, so I am keeping fingers crossed I will find what I am looking for by the time she is ready.  If not, I may attempt the breeding with Jaxon and hope I will find families that would not mind a smooth face and be happy with the wonderful temperaments these two will produce. I know temperament should be the most important point in purchasing a doodle, but most want it to have 'the look' of a doodle just like people want the 'look' of the spaniel above. 

5 comments:

  1. Debbie, Sundog and BarneyJanuary 10, 2014 at 1:43 AM

    Speaking of Irish Water Spaniels, both Sundog and Barney are 1/4 IWS, as near as I can figure. I wonder if they are IC carriers? Hmmm.... Interesting. I learn a lot from your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would depend on if both parents passed the gene in their separate lines. When the IWS was used, all those pups produced from the infusion, more than likely, were carriers; but when bred to other Australian Labradoodles, the genes would distribute randomly. I have been so surprised by my doodles that carry the gene - their coats are simply GORGEOUS! This is why I test because ONLY the ones Affected with the gene will have a smooth face. The Carriers don't necessarily have any 'symptoms' and without a test, open or smooth faces will be produced.

      I will say that all F1 Labradoodles are Carriers because the Lab passes the gene dominantly. All Cockers (and depending on the generations), Cockapoos or Spoodles are Carriers because of the Spaniel genes. It is 'hit or miss' with Cockapoos of a higher generation because the Poodles don't carry the gene and sometimes only the ('F' for Furnishings) will be passed to Cockapoos of a higher generation which will then produce a IC Clear Cockapoo.

      Delete
    2. Debbie, I agree, I learn a lot from this blog. I kind of love these times between puppies for the interesting information Joyce posts. Thanks Joyce!

      Delete
  2. This just jogged my memory. Did you get Felix's swab results back yet? I also love learning all of this. Love your blog and all of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Felix is Clear of the IC gene. Totally normal. :+)

    ReplyDelete