Wednesday, March 5, 2008

All is well with neutering and spaying yesterday.

Hi,

For those of you concerned about your furry babies getting through their surgeries - you can breathe easier because it went without a hitch. :+)

Although Naples (Black Collar) didn't have both of his (parts) decended, my vet's abilities did the trick with a minimum cut. I thought that both Naples and Leia would really be sluggish and require their own space from the group, so I spent most of the afternoon reconfiguring the puppy room to accommodate the 'patients'. I should not have wasted my time, they were full of beans when they got home. So much so, the groups spent most of the night playing and barking. :+( They were not happy being separated at all, but I felt it necessary for their incisions to have at least 24 hours of 'no wrestling'. Of course, that meant very little sleep for me!










Here are Naples on the left and Leia on the right - jumping! They pottied, ate a small meal (they were ravenous) and drank some water. Luckily, none of the pups had vomiting or diarrhea from the surgery. Later on, I gave them more food and a tablet for pain. Perhaps they would have slept more if I hadn't given them the pain killer!!










And the other two 'victims' are Tabor and Diesel. They showed no signs of having had surgery either. Early spay and neuter is an amazing process that has practically no 'downtime' for the pups. The hardest part of the ordeal is keeping them on the quiet side. It is so very different compared to surgeries done at a later age. Most take a week to heal and need Elizabethan collars to prevent them from licking the stitches which brings on a whole different set of issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment