Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Let's talk about the term 'potty trained'.

As with so many things, the definition of 'potty trained' varies according to the person talking.  So, I would like to define what I consider 'potty trained'.
  • The puppy TELLS you it needs to go outside to potty.  PLAIN AND SIMPLE.  How is this done?  By ringing a bell, by barking, by scratching at the door, by whining and looking at the door or by 'the stare'.  A potty trained puppy refuses to potty in your home and seeks someone to let them out to relieve themselves.  That is a potty trained puppy.  By the way, I DO NOT potty train my pups but I do expose them to the outdoors to 'go potty' with a command.  I do provide the bells to help YOU train them to 'ask to go outdoors' to potty and I hope because of this exposure to use the outdoor bathroom that your job will be much more easy.
Now let me tell you what other people claim 'potty trained' means:
  • When your other dogs go outside, the puppy follows and goes potty with them.  
  • When YOU take the pup outside, it does potty with or without the command to do so.
  • A puppy that uses a Dogie Door is NOT potty trained.  That is simply a convenience for the breeder to get them use to going outdoors.  I do this as well.
  • A puppy that is litter box trained, is NOT potty trained.  Again, the pup has learned that this indoor 'toilet' is an approved area for depositing waste. 
Some puppies get this concept very quickly and others can take up to a year.  Be patient, be consistent and whatever you do, don't get frustrated or yell at the pup.  If YOU forgot to bring the pup outdoors, or time got away from you, or a visitor came/phone call/text message, etc., don't blame the pup, blame yourself!  Set a timer and have treats in hand to reward your new friend for his/her training efforts - the rewards will come very quickly (as compared to training a child!).

2 comments:

  1. Debbie, Sundog, and BarneyDecember 11, 2012 at 7:29 PM

    Last Spring I took Sundog to a pet expo which had "indoor facilities" for the use of the dogs. Sundog looked at the generous amount of sod set up for that purpose and there seemed to be an expression of horror on her face, even though other dogs were using the "facilities" with gusto. After futilely asking her to potty there a few times, I had an epiphany. Sundog knew she was indoors and just refused to go indoors. When I realized that, we made the trek outdoors where she promptly accomplished her business. And when I thought about what that meant, I was extremely proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you should be. THAT is a potty trained doggie!!! :+)

    ReplyDelete