Monday, July 13, 2015

Today was surgery day for the Piper x Dublin males.

Early in the morning, I was on my way to the vets after loading the boys. I had a couple 'sing' to me on the way but not for very long. They do go under anesthesia, so they could not have anything to eat since dinner last night. :+(

Once at the vets, she does a check up (heart/ears/teeth/testicles/hernia check and nails cut) on each of them and does blood work so I know there is nothing wrong with the pup's organ functions BEFORE they go under.  On the blood work panel (you get a copy) the Creatinine is typically below normal because they have fasted. Sometimes the Globulin may be a bit under due to protein dilution brought on by a lot of fluid intake such as drinking water (which dilutes proteins). I also bring a fecal sample to check for parasites - which were clear! :+)

Broadview Animal Hospital is truly exceptional and typically my pups are cradled by a vet tech most of the time before and after surgery.

While they are at the hospital, I am busy rearranging the puppy room into the 'infirmary' and cleaning things up for the soon to arrive occupants. I carry them individually from the car and give them each a snack before putting them into the pens. Several pups are in a crate and thus begins the introduction to 'crate' training. At the very least, this DOES hasten the crate training process when you begin it at home. With over a week in crates, they are typically less 'noisy' for less time by pick up day.

In the meantime, the four girls that were left behind watched me prepare and were very quiet and mellow which was very nice. I didn't have to step around, over or go through them very often.

Calli dozed as I worked in the pup room.

Riley watched me pick up poops.

Lizzie was quite happy chilling as I went to and fro carrying stuff.

Freya found a wet, shady spot near the bucket and had both eyes on me.

The patients are on both ends with the four girls in the middle pen.

Hunter in front with Calloway behind and Ollie.

Scout, Theo and Rigger.

I admit that it was noisy for a bit, but now they have all settled for a nice nap and are calm. In about an hour, I will let them out for a brief potty, feed them again and keep them 'penned' up outdoors so they can't run around much. It is important for them to be rather inactive for a day or so. Then they will be separated into the crates and 'Light's Out'.  :+)

No comments:

Post a Comment