Wednesday, February 15, 2017

DAISY DELIVERED LATE LAST NIGHT!

Another 'holiday' delivery!  Towards the afternoon yesterday, I figured Daisy and I would be up most of the night.  She whelped 7 adorable, tiny 'valentines'. Unfortunately, one little girl is struggling and I am not sure she will make it.  It is always so difficult when one pup is so tiny (4 ounces) and has a very weak sucking reflex.  The surprise is that seven were whelped when I was expecting six. I did a double take when I had changed all the bedding and replaced the whelping pads with a nice warm fluffy bed. In the time it took for me to put the whelping pads in the washing machine and return, another pup had been born - the fourth girl! :+)

Yes, it is another female heavy litter - four of them  and three males. Sadly, we lost the first three pups born. The rest are hearty and thriving.
  • Male at 11:25 pm - 7 5/8 ounces. (deceased)
  • Male at 11:53 pm - 8 1/4 ounces  (deceased)
  • Female at 12:10 am - 4 5/8 ounces, (deceased)
  • Teal Collar Female at 12:22 am - 8 5/8 ounces
  • Purple Collar Female at 12:47 am - 6 1/4 ounces
  • Black Collar Male at 1:03 am - 8 7/8 ounces
  • Blueberry Collar Female at 1:15 am - 8 1/8 ounces 


All the pups are shades of apricot.

Update 2/16: I took Daisy and the pups to be vet checked this morning and to have their dew claws removed. It is with great sadness that two pups, the little girl that was struggling and another male had cleft palates which are caused by the disruption of the normal processes that form during fetal development - much like deformities with human babies - a sad reality of reproduction. The third pup simply failed to thrive.  :+(

6 comments:

  1. What wonderful valentines! (We're pulling for that littlest one.) Fine job, Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too but Mother Nature may have a different path. Hoping she will begin to nurse. Nothing wrong with a little bit of hope and prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about the first three pups. I would imagine that that is really rough for you. I will keep the other 4 in my thoughts and hope that they continue to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Debbie. Breeding is not for the faint hearted. Many times you must make wrenching but merciful decisions. Thankfully, these times are few and are softened by the wonders of watching life unfold and thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is there an opening in this litter? Praying for the little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for contacting me but the pups are all sold.

      Delete