Monday, February 20, 2012

No, the stork did not have the wrong address....


I think when you look at this picture, you will see that a new addition has arrived here at Annabelle Doodles.  :+)

A breeder friend of mine had a singleton (one puppy) just a day after Clara Belle delivered her litter of five.  Because it is so very important for puppies to learn from each other, we felt that chubby Viva should join Clara's group for a few weeks.  This will allow Viva to interact with other puppies her own age and develop the proper 'dogie skills' for her future well being.  Initially Clara Belle was a bit put off, after all, she is nursing full time to keep her chunky babies well nourished and clean!  After about an hour of my intervention and coaxing, Clara allowed Viva to nurse.  Clara kept looking at the 'oddly' colored puppy in her group and seemed truly confused.  Once the pup suckled, I brought her to Clara's nose so she could smell her own milk on the pup's mouth and this finally gained the pup's 'adoption' into the litter.  Viva is now meshing in perfectly and all is well.

I also moved the pups today to the Puppy Room.  Time will tell if this is a permanent or temporary move based on weather, light and acclimation.  Initially, I had my tent up but the temperatures have been so mild, it was too hot under it.  All the pups have strong coats and can regulate themselves, so we will see.   At night, I will put a cover on the top of the fencing to prevent drafts when chilly.  The floor has radiant heat and we also have a blower heater at the ceiling level.  Should be rather toasty.  :+)

Once I noticed that they are trying to get out of the box or moving to find a potty spot, this area will be changed to enhance that phase of development.  Lots of changes coming up!

7 comments:

  1. How sweet! I hope Olive has lots of black males and then perhaps Viva won't stand out as much! :) looking forward to the X-ray results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well even if Olive has lots of black males, it will be in a separate area. :+) According to the color charts, there should be blacks and cream blends. Although the x-ray did not show a large litter, many times pups are 'hiding', so until the litter is born, a breeder never really knows the numbers.

      Delete
  2. Viva is adorable, and I love how she stands out! It just adds to the humor and cute factors of your photos :-)

    Is Viva also a doodle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Viva is an F1B I believe. I love the contrast she makes in the litter of deep apricots! She will really show up once they are a bit older and the coats begin to grow and they start to really interact. :+)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clara has such a lovely, motherly nature. I know it's not uncommon for a new mama to accept babes that aren't theirs, but it is an act that never fails to warm ones heart when it happens :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce,

    Can you tell me the brand of your litter box? I can't seem to find any with the lower front opening.

    You do such great things there. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!

    I would love to send the info. Please email me directly at: joycetabor@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete