Sunday, January 11, 2015

What a surprise I had today! (RETIRED)

I was very happy to hear that my guardians for Tip O'Keefe, one of my hopeful studs, was coming to visit today. Imagine my surprise when Keefer left as an apricot and returned looking like this!


I was totally stunned! This photo was not retouched in any way. The day was grey, not sunny and my camera was in 'sport mode'. Typically, cream or apricot doodles that darken as they age carry a gene called 'Rufus'. It is known as the darkening gene and is not common. Most breeders who have a dog that carry this gene are thrilled and I am no exception!  :+)

Keeping my fingers crossed that this boy has wonderful test scores for inclusion as a stud in my program. He has the looks, the fabulous temperament and a coat to drool over but we won't know until I test him when he is a year - which is about 6 months away.  Till then, he is being insanely loved by his guardians who are doing a superlative job of training and socializing him. Kudos Sandra and Greg!  :+)

3 comments:

  1. How interesting about the gene and exciting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be truly jumping for joy if all his tests are passed. Yes, the Rufus gene is quite interesting and not common at all.

    ReplyDelete