Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Update on Hazel.

It is with great sadness that I must give up on Hazel becoming a breeder for Annabelle Doodles. When she went in for a check up, a tooth was not hitting correctly on her upper palate. As we both looked closer, it appears that her bottom jaw did not line up perfectly like it should. My vet felt it was a genetic condition (those darn recessive genes!!!) that could manifest in her litters. So, with lots of reluctance, I am culling her from my program. :+(

Included in the recessive lineup are under bites which are very common in this breed. However, as long as the bite does not impair eating, drinking or chewing, it is an acceptable condition for pet quality puppies. Of course, no responsible breeder would keep one to use for stock.

There are so many recessive genes that we cannot test for, so the only way you know your dog may be carrying them is when they 'express' themselves, such as what just happened. She will make someone a very special pet.

Hazel has an appointment to be spayed and also have the 'unruly' tooth removed to make way for her permanent tooth. Typically, with lots of tennis ball play, the mature tooth could come in just fine. Hazel playing with a ball is one of the therapies for this condition to improve. Funny, huh?

I am keeping my fingers crossed that Figgy will join our program. Time will tell! :+)

2 comments:

  1. Joyce you have to stop naming these purple girls Hazel..they keep breaking your heart. I can attest the family getting your choice for a breeder is going to be VERY happy. Just know your sadness is making a family happy beyong their wildest dreams. Lexi is by far the most amazing dog, pet, friend and companion we could have ever dreamed of.
    Love The Lennox Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jill!

    Yes, I know! Perhaps if I was not so darn picky I would have had a slew of them but I am. I breed to improve and I must stay the course.

    Lucky families, like you, get my picks and I enjoy seeing them blossom. :+)

    Hazel, like Lexi, will be a stunner.

    ReplyDelete