Thursday, July 31, 2014

Flea & Tick Products are not as safe as you think - and some are downright dangerous for your pet!

I belong to a forum that has many discussions about how certain products are affecting our Labradoodles. One hot topic is flea and tick medications. There are always products that seem to pop up over and over as causing severe reactions in our Labradoodles (as well as other breeds) and that is Comfortis and Trifectis topical 'spot ons'.

For my current and future litters, my concerns are high enough to actually put in my contract that you MUST NOT use either of the above products in order to be under my warranty.  I realize this is a strong reaction but from the information I am reading - both have caused vomiting, allergies, sickness and high vet bills for something that should be safe and helpful.  Many warnings have been posted in The Whole Dog Journal and even newspapers about the severe reactions to our dog population using these products.  Interesting read:
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/blog/-20898-1.html

I never use flea and tick products on my dogs - ever. Four of them live here and every night I touch them and remove ticks if they have any. I use holistic products from these sites:

  • http://shop.mercola.com/catalog/fleas-and-ticks,99,0.htm or I use 
  • holistic blended oils that you can find in most natural food/pet stores and
  • I prefer and use the collars from this site: http://www.holisticfamilyandpets.com/ and they work just as well WITHOUT using a toxic commercial  topical.
Research safe flea and tick products on the net and you will find many that do the job without impacting the health of your pet.  Your pet needs intervention from you to keep healthy.  Vet offices offer many products but not all of them suit every dog or will even be safe for every dog. Think about that before you put a substance on your family companion.  If you won't use it, why is it safe for them?


2 comments:

  1. Another great post, Joyce. Large commercial suppliers of food, and other products like flea and tick prevention/killers don't have our pets best interests at heart.

    We've had great success using diatomaceous earth, also called "de" (food grade, of course), sprinkled on our doodles coats if we see any sign of fleas. I also have a little feral cat community, and we put the de in their food to take care of parasites. The de has dealt nicely with both tape and pin worms in the cats, and is supposed to work as well with dogs (and humans!). I don't trust the commercial tick/flea killers. The natural preventatives have always worked well for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, DE is another great product that we use a lot on our farm from pigs to doodles! I also sprinkle it where the pups and dogs play and wash it it with a hose to prevent parasites of any type in the soil under the artificial turf and stone areas. It is a super, natural product that does so much for so little.

      Delete