Saturday, July 26, 2014

I am on my 'soapbox' once again regarding VACCINES!

In a perfect world, I would recommend that NO VACCINES of any type be given to one of my puppies going home to their owners until they were 16 weeks old. Then, only one vaccine at a time and never the multiple version vaccine cocktail.

For quite some time, I have been giving my puppies the DHPP (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo and Para influenza combo) and they have been fine as far as I know. However, the ramifications of vaccines are not known for many months and sometimes years. Vaccines do contribute to auto-immune disease, allergies, skin issues, etc. and do not always show an immediate reaction. When you wait until 16 weeks, your pup needs one of each core vaccine for a lifetime of immunity to that disease in 95% of the reports done.  Please refrain from giving your pups/dogs annual vaccines - they don't need them unless in a highly epidemic location.

In most cases, your vet will highly disagree with me but I cannot close my eyes to the many reports of the decline of dog health!  Yes, I am most definitely in favor of a holistic approach because it makes sense to me. I LOVE my traditional vets as well because they are the exception to the 'traditional' vet rule and work with me on many alternative remedy levels. My holistic vet is a treasure and is ever patient with my questions and concerns.  :+)

For the heck of it I have been googling this topic:  'benefits of just giving the Parvo and Distemper vaccines on 8 week old pups' and a pile of links popped up. Why don't all of you do the same and read the links - all of them - and then let me know if those of you getting pups from my current litters want to go a different route.

Once you have your pet, this will be your choice to make. The responsibility required to keep your pup socialized and healthy for 16 weeks is not as difficult as you think.

  • hold your pup when at the vets to keep him/her from touching the floor and stay away from dogs that appear ill or nervous for the 16 week shot
  • use a stroller for walks to areas where people can interact with your pup for socialization but refrain from allowing your pup to walk on the ground
  • allow your pup to play in your yard with familiar dogs that you know have already been immunized
  • take your pup to Home Depot and other busy places that have lots of people for him/her to meet but have minimal dogs - put him in the carriage and go about your business and carry lots of treats so he can meet and greet people and get rewarded
  • have a trainer come to your home for obedience training for the first six weeks of your pup being home
  • join an obedience class once the pup has been vaccinated
  • spend those six weeks before vaccination training, loving, having people over to your home and dogs in your yard where you control the environment and types of dogs visiting
Suggestions from the pet owner community to change vaccine protocols have been going on for a long time. The vet segment prefers to not change the rules because it affects their income. Numerous vaccines and flea/tick preparations are big business! Please do not allow their business strategies interfere with the best health care for your pet.  The bottom line is YOU are the advocate for your pet! Make informed choices.

1 comment:

  1. Oh and how I know the truth in these words. I hope all of the pet owners do take the time to do the reading and get informed....I wish I did earler.

    ReplyDelete