Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Breeding preferences.

Unlike most breeders that prefer lots of  'fair' weather litters, I enjoy having some time off in the summer and begin breeding in earnest by early fall through the winter months.  Yes, it is a pain to have the moms whelp litters when it is snowing or icing but I seem to thrive on this schedule.  I am sure it is because our winters here in Southern Maine are long and having litters of adorable puppies to entertain you makes the Winter season go by quickly.  Plus, there are a number of holidays which brings lots of visitors for socializing.  :+)

With this said, I just received a very excited call from the guardians of Muddie Pearl stating that she is 'in season'.  They have waited a long time for this 'event'!  So, Pearl's litter will arrive when Olive's litter is very close to going to their new homes.   Excellent timing, Pearl!  Then, I expect Tillie will be next (with black and white parti pups!) and perhaps Camden with creams and apricots.  It appears, I will have a very busy winter season and I like it that way.  

I could have numerous litters, but I prefer not to.  Puppies require lots of time and effort.  Even overlapping litters can sometimes be overwhelming given I am always welcoming visitors to view and play with the pups.  Timing is everything.  So, I may just have to do the 'Eeny, meeny, miny, moe' game to see who will have litters for the 2012 - 2013 season.  It is sure to be an interesting one given all the possible combinations of patterns, colors and textures that this winter's line up will bring!  Of course, Olive is starting it out with a bang with a full rainbow litter of colors expected.  :+)

No comments:

Post a Comment