Sunday, September 23, 2012

Weights on Olive's pups.

Hi all!

The pups are a full week old and I wanted to give all of you their individual weights.  I have also been taking them on car rides in a laundry basket nestled within a dog bed to keep it nice and snug.

Why?  At a seminar with well renown, Pat Hastings - an AKC judge, popular writer on dog conformation and a real stickler on 'form to function' in the canine world states: 'If you take newborn puppies for THREE car rides before they are 10 days old, they will not have car fear or get car sickness'.  I thought this was a remarkable tidbit of information.  Olive is the first girl to have a litter to test out this theory.  Of course, me being me - they will go on FIVE car rides within the timeframe of ten days because I take them out every other day.  The proof will be in the pudding when they go to the vets for their shots at 8 weeks; their eye appointments at 9 weeks and lastly, their spay/neuters.  So, these guys will have numerous car riding opportunities to have motion sickness and I hope this early intervention prevents that!

Here are their weights:
  • Purple Girl - 1 lb., 8 ozs.
  • Teal Girl - 1 lb., 8 ozs.
  • Orange Girl - 1 lb., 12 ozs.
  • Red Boy - 1 lb., 10 ozs.
  • Black Girl - 1 lb., 12 ozs.
  • Green Boy - 1 lb., 11 ozs.
As you can see, these pups are very close in weights and are right on target for approximately 30 lbs. +/- when mature.  As they grow, I will update weights weekly.   Keep watching the AnnaBlog because you just never know when I will post a pic!  :+)


4 comments:

  1. Debbie, Sundog and BarneySeptember 24, 2012 at 1:40 AM

    How very interesting! I am very curious as to the results.

    Such cute little ones you have! At the moment I like Teal and Purple, but I will probably change my mind when I see the next pictures, lol. Black girl is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie and Friends,

    This would be the best tidbit I have ever heard of if it works. Most of the time, my pups do well but there is always one or two that have an upset stomach. If I can prevent this for myself as well as my clients, I am happy to do so! Tomorrow is our last day as they will be 10 days old on Wednesday - my how time flies! So far, they are a wonderful group but Olive is doing most of the work. I just keep feeding her and watching the little blimps grow. :+)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So interesting! As someone who will be driving for several hours, I definitely appreciate the road test (no pun intended) of this particular theory. Will be neat to see how it turns out for the pups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a pretty time to be driving around in Maine right now too. An added bonus. I am also really curious to see if it works. Sure hope so.

    ReplyDelete