Sunday, June 19, 2016

A typical day.

After preparing all the food and feeding all the adult doodles in the morning, I go in to take care of the pups.  Their pan is put down as I call out 'pup..pup.. pup' to get them use to this cue that I am there with food which they will associate as a positive interaction. Once they are done, mom gets to lick their pan and be with them if she chooses. Once fed, the pups usually begin to play a bit, go potty then naps are eminent.

At this time, I bring out my clothe x-pen, place a hospital pee pad in it and switch the pups from their pen to the x-pen. After sniffing a bit, they settle down to nap.

I have set up their pen for two-way access - a gate at the front (for easy interaction and food delivery and one on the back side for easy access to the potty area. If you remember, I put the Activity Box on top of the turf which acts as a brace so the pups cannot pull out the turf and make a mess. This makes clean up quick and easy. I switch the Activity Box to their 'bed' area as I remove the turf strips for cleaning and dispose of the urine soaked puppy pee pad beneath them. I clean and disinfect the pan, add a new puppy pee pad, new turf strips and replace the Activity Box. The pups are then put back into their cleaned area to continue their nap and I go outdoors to hose and disinfect the turf.

It takes many tries to find a system that is economical, has ease of functionality and uses a minimum of time.  I find with each litter, I may have to make some changes especially if it is a large litter. For an average litter of 6 or under, this method works really well for me. As the pups grow and need more space, I will adjust but at this time of year, the outdoors becomes a wonderful playground where most potty needs are met. No matter where they 'go', my janitorial services are always needed!

Hmmm.... I think I am the one that should be napping!

No comments:

Post a Comment