Thursday, June 9, 2016

It is never too early to introduce potty training.

Here at ADNE, I like to begin just when the pups are about 2 1/2 weeks old. Most pups are trying to stand up and do a bit of wobbly walking.  It is truly adorable to watch them wobble and weeble about.

When I begin to see this action in earnest, I add a very low sided tray with a cloth pee pad in it. I use a potty training lure spray on the pee pad as young pups have a keen sense of smell. I did not expand the pen space at all because it is important to keep the area small so that a definite 'line' of where they sleep and eat is apart from the potty spot. Pups will do this naturally in the wild, so why not use those naturally imbedded instincts to my advantage?

The 'star' of this technique is illustrated perfectly by Red Collar Boy below.  :+)

Sorry for the blurry pic, but you can see the set up. The white area is where the potty tray is.

Green Boy is snuggling with the new toy in their pen

Right after I  re-arranged the area, Figgy nursed and Royal Boy fell fast asleep. 

Green and Red Collar Boys.

Like Royal Boy, Teal Girl clocked out after nursing.

Mr. Red Boy left evidence of his potty skills in the left corner.  :+)

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have done litter box training intro since I began breeding doodles over 13 years ago. It is a very useful method for me and my clients although I encourage once they receive a pup to train to the outdoors!!

      Delete