Monday, April 15, 2019

Early Neurological Stimulation - Elsie x Duckie pups

I wanted to share some pics I took today just to explain what I am doing with the pups for 16 days.  Early Neurological Stimulation is a sensor program.  I have included a synopsis below as well as the link if anyone wants to read the full article.

I used one pup for each individual 'exercise' and also added a pic of one of them being weighed as I do this daily until they reach 2 weeks of age.


The first exercise is to use a Q Tip to 'tickle' between their toes and pads.  The pup is laying horizontally on my hand as I do this.  Since I don't have three hands, I just showed you the pup and Q tip.  Pups are wiggly!  :+)

Exercise #2 is holding the pup upright.

Exercise #3 is one they do not like at all as the puppy must be pointed toward the floor .

Belly up is Exercise #4.

The last one is #5 and they are placed on a cold clothe for a few seconds.

Each day, I weigh the pups to be sure they are gaining.  I also check the mammary glands of Elsie to be sure there are no lumps or bumps on or near the teats which, if unchecked, could develop into Mastitis.  All is perfect!



FYI:
Methods of Stimulation

The U.S. Military in their canine program developed a method that still serves as a guide to what works. In an effort to improve the performance of dogs used for military purposes, a program called "Bio Sensor" was developed. Later, it became known to the public as the "Super Dog" Program. Based on years of research, the military learned that early neurological stimulation exercises could have important and lasting effects. Their studies confirmed that there are specific time periods early in life when neurological stimulation has optimum results. The first period involves a window of time that begins at the third day of life and lasts until the sixteenth day. It is believed that because this interval of time is a period of rapid neurological growth and development, and therefore is of great importance to the individual.
The "Bio Sensor" program was also concerned with early neurological stimulation in order to give the dog a superior advantage. Its development utilized five exercises which were designed to stimulate the neurological system. Each workout involved handling puppies once each day. The workouts required handling them one at a time while performing a series of five exercises. Listed in order of preference, the handler starts with one pup and stimulates it using each of the five exercises. The handler completes the series from beginning to end before starting with the next pup. The handling of each pup once per day involves the following exercises:
  1. Tactical stimulation (between toes)
  2. Head held erect
  3. Head pointed down
  4. Supine position
  5. Thermal stimulation
Here is the link for the full article.  

-----------------------

I like to keep my customers abreast of what is going on here!!  :+)

3 comments:

  1. I am always amazed at how much time and effort that you put into the well being of each pup.
    It sure explains why your pups are always so well balanced. What a great beginning for these little munchkins. I can not believe how fast they are growing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would rather give them every opportunity to 'Be Best' than hope they turn out well. I take my 'job' seriously!! :+)

    ReplyDelete