Thursday, April 18, 2019

Even experienced breeders can be 'fooled'.

For the past week or so, I noticed drops of blood on my kitchen floor, so I knew one of my girls was in season.  It was Daisy.  I knew I was not breeding her this cycle so was content to mark my paperwork and move on.  After a week, I was surprised that I still continued to see droplets and both Daisy and Gunny were quite 'amorous' with each other.  They are 'best buds' though so nothing 'too' odd about that.  However, it was unusual to see bright droplets for longer than a week and it finally dawned on me that Gunny was ALSO in season!

A trip to the vet today confirmed my suspicions and Gunny will be having a date with Okie 'Boomer' on Saturday.  This could be a 'Jack in the Box' litter.  It should be quite diverse with colors ranging from solid black, chocolate, cream; or include phantom patterns in black/tan or chocolate/tan, or even wild sable (similar to a Shepherd's coat color).  I have no idea what to expect as Mother Nature is always in charge but it should be fun and interesting!

The possible myriad of colors and patterns is because Gunny is a Cockapoo and brings the Spaniel patterns and colors into the Labradoodle mix.  Boomer is an Australian Labradoodle as his Dam is an Australian Labradoodle that was bred to a Multigenerational Labradoodle (Bo Didley) and if the breeding is successful, this will be Gunny's retirement litter.  You can view her adorable past litters with Lil Abner if you scroll down the index on the right. 

Keep in mind, the Australian Labradoodle is comprised of a Poodle, Lab and Spaniel type, so the pups will be AUSTRALIAN LABRADOODLES per the definition of all Labradoodle registries which include the ALAA, ALCA and WALA.

Why did I choose Boomer for this litter?  Happily, Boomer has a wonderful selection of early generations in his sire's lineage - I LOVE keeping the Labrador in the 'Labradoodle'!   My breeder friend, Marci of Tango Wool Labradoodles did an excellent job of creating strong new lines from solid foundation stock and I was very fortunate to benefit from her work.  Blending Boomer's DNA with Gunny will produce a sweet litter of non shedding, stout pups.

Gunny (Cockapoo) - 26.5 lbs.  Chocolate, non shedding easy care coat.

Boomer (Australian Labradoodle) - 27.8 lbs. solid as a rock black abstract with a soft, non shedding coat.
Accepting applications at this time.  My best guess, if the mating goes well, is for pups to arrive in mid June and pups placed around mid August.  Please do not apply for this litter if you have vacations scheduled during the fourth week of August.  It is not possible for me to keep pups over past their pick up day.


No comments:

Post a Comment