Monday, July 28, 2008

LOTSA QUESTIONS!

Hello!

Now that the time is becoming a reality, I am getting many emails asking lots of the same questions and I am repeating myself over and over. So, one client had an excellent assortment of many and I chose to copy her questions and my answers so ALL of you can read and hopefully find the answers. :+)

I CANNOT stress enough the IDOG link that is at the end of this post for tons and tons of info. It is well worth your perusing and reading as so much of it provides answers to your many questions.

Here are my answers to some of the repeated questions coming in:

1. Meals.
  • The pups need to be fed 3 times per day until they are around 6 months. You will know when to eliminate the mid-day meal when they start refusing to eat it. Then switch to 2 meals. Put them on YOUR time schedule NOT mine. Once your pup is with you, start them on a schedule that works for you. If you pup does not finish the meal in 15 minutes take it away until their next feeding!
A. What has been her typical daily schedule on her mealtimes.
  • Here it has been around 8 - 9 AM, 12 - 2 PM and 6 - 8 PM
B. What is she eating and should I continue to feed her the same way?
  • Again, your choice. They ONLY eat raw, organic chicken and bones here. I do use canned veggies or raw but not corn. Corn does not digest well.
C. What is the best place to read about increasing her food amounts as she gets bigger?
  • Depends on the diet. For raw - 10% of their weekly weight divided by the 3 meals. Commercial - follow package/vet instructions.
D. What kind of treats do you like
  • I like either those produced by Mother Hubbard or dried Liver Biscotti
2. Sleeping patterns.
  • Around here, they play when they want and sleep when they want. I have no schedule. After they eat, they have a burst of energy and then take a nap. I find they are usually napping at late morning and again around 2 PM. There is a burst of energy again around 9 - 10 PM and then lights out at 10:30 11:00 PM.
A. What are her current sleeping patterns? See #2.
B. How do you think they will change in the next 6 months?
  • Dogs tend to keep nap patterns but it does depend on their environment. People home may keep them busy. Alone, they will nap or get into trouble if not watched or contained. I don't think there will be much of a change at 6 months to the routine they are now on. Their whole world will change when they live with their new owners.
C. Will she need to go to the bathroom during the night?
  • Depends on when you feed her and how much she is played with. The last person going to bed should take the pup out for potty. Pups should be able to sleep through the night without getting up until 5 or 6 AM.
3. Commands. I currently use 'no bite', 'off' (not down), 'sit', 'good potty'
A. What commands are you currently using? See above.
4. Potty.
A. I know you tell her potty when you take her out and give her a treat and say good potty.
B. How often is she going out and when during the day and usually before or after her meal?
  • Please remember, I am dealing with an entire litter not one puppy. They all use the doggie door and go out as they feel the necessity. Many still use the kiddie pool potty or the grassy area. They go after they eat, and after they play hard.
5. Favorite Toys and other items.
  • They like soft squeaky toys, fuzzy toys, balls of all types, toys for tugging
A. What toys is she currently playing with and what do you suggest we buy for her? See above.
B. What kind of leash and collar do you recommend?
  • I prefer harnesses for puppies. Also, Buckle Collars (not snaps) when older or Martingale Collars.
C. What other items should I include for her the first time we bring her home. Should I get the flea and tick medicine from the Vet. We use frontline for our cat. Would you suggest that I put it on when we bring her home?
  • Follow the recommendations of your vet. If using Frontline, I prefer the 6 week not the 4 week dosage timeframe.
6. I know you send some information from a website on Biting which I found very good and I have a great book on puppies. Can you give me any other websites that you would recommend for resources?
  • This is a great link for info: http://idog.biz/ It is chock full of information on just about everything.
7. Any other things you can tell me that I forgot? Just email or call with anything, I am always here to help out. :+)

No comments:

Post a Comment