Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Try as I may, there are some things I cannot control.

Unfortunately, Olive had an Eclampsia episode last night and I had to rush her to the emergency vets to have a calcium drip done. She stayed there all night. She was comfortable and an excellent patient. This seems to happen with each litter and I am very accustomed to the signs and know what to do, but it not only baffles me, but all the 'experts' as well. I have tried working with traditional medicine vets, holistic vets, herbalists, you name it! I have a great diet proven through excellent blood work results and purchase the very best quality supplements...but my girls still get 'milk fever'. :+( It is common, but I sure wish I could get through a litter without dealing with the frightful run to emergency rooms in the middle of the night!

But, the old adage of 'when you have lemons, make lemonade' gave me an idea. Since I have done everything possible to prevent this and it doesn't work, I have made the decision to be properly equipped for its appearance. :+) Miss Olive is now outfitted with a lovely pink 'teat cocoon'. :+) This allows her to be with her pups to bond and clean but they cannot nurse. It is the vigorous nursing that depletes her blood of calcium which causes the episode. The pups are eating food very well and don't need her milk but DO need her comfort. So there, out of a negative comes a positive. :+)

You can't see it in the pic, but one of her front legs is shaved where they had to put the IV in. She is feeling much better and is happy to be back home.

3 comments:

  1. Tell Olive we hope she feels better. A mother's love is far more important than her milk!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get Well Soon Olive! We are thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :+) Olive is just fine - not to worry. I will post pics of her with her babies in her 'Teat Cocoon'.

    ReplyDelete