Friday, August 8, 2014

Three days old.

This morning, I began Early Neurological Stimulation on the newborns. None of them were too happy about it either but that is a very typical and normal response. It is done to stimulate brain development and 'learn' to handle stress better as they mature.  It is done once a day to each pup for sixteen days. I am always happy when it ends because by that time, I have to use two hands to do the exercises because they have grown so much!

I am also amazed at how long Tate can hold her urine! I keep trying to coax her out of the whelping box to go outside to potty and she refuses. After several hours, I finally put a leash on her to 'take care of business'. Several times a week, I will take the opportunity to brush and comb her pretty coat as the pups climbing and sleeping on her long fur can really make a mess of it. Combing Tate three times a week is necessary to keep her coat nice. Tate is a groomers dream - so tolerant.  :+)

Happy momma and most of her babies.

This group pic shows Purple Girl is a littermate!  She was hidden in the first one.

They are gaining weight so well. Some of them are showing bits of white on their heads or toes but as adults you won't see it much.

2 comments:

  1. Tate looks like such a proud Momma! It really is amazing how dogs just "know" how to care for an entire litter..I read for months just trying to figure out how to take care of ONE baby and had an entire staff to help deliver it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! I have always found the animal world an amazing place. :+)

    ReplyDelete