Friday, February 20, 2015

We are home and all is well!

Happily, the day was uneventful and I am thrilled to know that appointments are finished and I don't have to worry any longer about snowstorms.  ALLELUIA!!!

Actually, it was a lovely day - cold but bright and sunny. The day progressed something like this:

  • I was at the vet office promptly at 8 am. The pups went through their prelim health exams with flying colors. Please note that on this particular litter, the girls had BOTH their ovaries and uterus removed (OVH). My normal vet, Dr. Estle, was away on vacation so the OVE (which leaves the uterus) was not performed.
  • After the prelim exam, I request that blood work be taken from each pup to be sure that their kidneys, liver and enzymes are at the proper levels; otherwise, surgery would not be done. It is being a bit cautious but I feel a necessary procedure. I am not concerned when creatinine is low because they have been fasted.
  • Each surgery is approximately 1/2 hour total which includes the recovery segment.
  • Laser Therapy is done on each puppy after the surgery for faster healing and a shot of Rimadyl provides 24 hours of pain relief.
  • Each client is provided with a copy of the neuter/spay surgery for registration in your town.
  • The pups get lots of cuddles and lap time with all the vet techs during recovery.  :+)
  • Upon arriving at home, I give each pup a small portion of food.  Around 6 PM, I will feed them all their normal amount.
While the pups are at the vets, I bleach the area and get the 'infirmary' set up.

Clementine with Blue, who is lying down.

Sailor with Mac Gregor.

Bella is hugging Novak. Abner is on the right who spent the day missing his siblings very much!

As I type, all the pups are napping, quiet and comfortable.  :+)

3 comments:

  1. Joyce, thank you so much for the update. Look at those sweet faces. I am really excited that these pups are going to have play dates. What a wonderful group.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The infirmary is adorable! I continue to be so impressed with the standard of care you provide to our puppies. So thoughtful and compassionate. I am sincerely thankful! Roxann, I too look forward to play dates with these beauties!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lisa. I look forward to meeting you. I so love the picture of Sailor and MacGregor .....and ALL these little munchkins. Joyce and I are going to plan a reunion at our old Farmhouse......life is good! Indeed beauties!

    ReplyDelete