Thursday, March 4, 2010

Maple's litter had their first vet visit today!

Although it is a controversial subject, I always remove the dew claws on any of the puppies in a litter. I understand that it is a digit and that many dogs use the front dew claw(s) for making turns during agility or racing, but to see one rip, get caught in a fence or get nicked by a groomer has convinced me to continue removing them. It is extremely painful for the dog and very bloody.

So at two days old or less, I bring in my litter(s) to have them removed. I have this wonderful bunting that I use for this. On the bottom of it, there is a removable 'heated rice pad' that I put in the microwave to heat it up. It keeps them nice and cozy for winter or chilly treks to the vet. Once in the heated car, I then take them out of the bunting and place them with their mom in the back of my wagon in a small pool that is layered with blankets, etc. The trip is made with them and mommy together for the trip to and from the vets. Less stress for mommy and the pups get a snack in as well. :+)

Here are the babies in the 'special puppy bunting'.


They are back home with nary a bad thought about the whole procedure or trip. By the way, they are all gaining nicely. :+) Maple is a doting mommy and nourishing milk bar!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness...they are so small and sweet...It will be fun to watch Parti's color:)You have to be sooo busy and puppy crazy:) Thanks for all the pictures...we are always looking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to update weekly on the day they were born ....so Tuesdays for Maple's litter and Saturday/Sundays for Cadburys. Sometimes I am able to take some in between and sometimes, I miss due to how active everything is around here.

    So far, I am keeping up! :+)

    ReplyDelete