Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Saga of New Year's Eve.

As expected, 2011 came in with me up attending to Olive's whelping. She labored all New Year's Eve day and well into the night. Olive was very uncomfortable and was in and out many, many times - so sleep was out of the question, even a short nap! Actually, Olive whelped 9 babies during the night but it was not expected. Here is how it unfolded:

At 1:40 am, a chocolate girl was finally born. Since the x-rays on Olive predicted 6 versus her ultra-sound which said 5, we were figuring anywhere from 5 to 7 pups.

After her 6th pup, she appeared all calm and I figured she was done. One of those 6 pups was a tiny, little boy that had a hole in his abdomen where his umbilical cord was. He looked very immature to me and I figured he would not last but a few minutes. I did what I could knowing full well the outcome. I rubbed and dried him off but whispered to him to 'go quickly to the rainbow bridge' but he was NOT listening. I decided he was in hand's bigger and more powerful than mine, so after I had cleaned everything up, I climbed into my bed roughly at 5:30 am. I was up again at 6:30 am and went to check on the pups. He was still alive and three more were born but a little chocolate girl did not make it. :+( When I noticed that my tiny guy was not nursing, my heart sank. I checked his palate and he has a cleft in it - not a good sign. Now I know that some of these do close on their own, but I just did not think this would be the case. So I gave him some liver juice that I made up and gave him a few drops. My feeling was - if he goes, I at least want to feel I did my best to make his passage easier. I wrapped up his umbilical hole and hoped for the best. For hours, I held him in a warm towel placed in a plastic bag for a moist environment. I don't know why he is still alive - sheer will, I think. Since I don't expect him to make it, I named him Gabriel for his perseverance and strength to want to live in spite of it all. If he is still alive on Monday, my vet will assess him and we will make a decision on his future - if he has one. He is with his siblings, trying to nurse and it makes my eyes water to see this tiny tyke fight so hard for such an uphill battle.

Needless to say, I am exhausted. I hope to put up some pics before my company comes on Sunday. I don't know if Gabriel will be included or not - so say a little prayer for this little fighter.

8 comments:

  1. Joyce, You are so strong to bring these babies into the world with their mothers. We are saying a little prayer for Gabriel. Please give Olive a big hug from all of us. She is very near and dear to our hearts - she touched us the first time we visited and mothered our Brewster so lovingly. We hope the pups are all doing well in the morning. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so amazing. Just when I think you couldn't be any better, you touch my heart even more. How nice to have a breeder care so much for her dogs and puppies. Also, thank-you for such a wonderful blog and pictures despite no sleep. So glad to have gotten a dog from such a terrific place. Felix and all of us send Olive and her puppies hugs and kisses. Eloise is sure adorable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, You are such a brave and couragious woman Olive's delivery was bitter-sweet for you. When you get a dog from Annabelle Doodles, you become part of a family and you share the happy posts as well as the heartbreaking posts. I am so sorry for your sadness, I can feel it in your post. Please know you are a blessing to these dogs and they could never get any better care than you give them. Big hugs to you for all of your labors of love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce - our best to you, Olive and the pups. What an emotional roller coaster for all of you. Olive and her babies (and all Annabelle Doodle dogs and pups) couldn't be in better hands. You are an amazing person and breeder. I am so glad Dina found you and we are blessed with one of your wonderful pups. Prayers and hugs to all of you. Diane, Roger and Stella

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, all I can do is echo the thoughts of the other posters. I just re-read your "breeders poem" two nights ago, and here it is, playing out in your life right now. Our thoughts are with you, and Olive, and these tiny pups that are so fortunate to be born into such a loving and aware environment. If this pups life is going to be short, there's no better place for him to live it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 1st Birthday to this litter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh... indeed it has come and gone. What an incredible litter this was and has become. Thank you so much for posting the Happy Birthday message. With breeding Olive, my schedule ran away from me. Such legs it has!!! Hugs to all!

    ReplyDelete