Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Guardian for Haddie McGee. Why be a guardian?

Haddie is a mini Labradoodle - she will be approximately 25 to 28 lbs. at maturity. This is not your typical 'fragile little dogie' as Haddie is solid as a brick. She has strong boning, a square stance, non shedding, wavy coat coupled with quite a bit of confidence but respectful as well.  My trainer said Haddie is a very smart Labradoodle with good energy and would require an active household with dog experience and I agree.  Obedience training is a must as Haddie loves to learn and interact - she is a very quick learner.

A full time working situation is not the best placement for Haddie McGee, as she is quite social.  So an active, dog experienced home with children (or another dog) would do nicely. Or an active couple (retired or otherwise) that enjoys the companionship of a furry friend.  Lastly, those that have a home based business is also ideal.

Haddie loves the outdoors, children, people and is respectful of other dogs. Loud noises do not bother her like thunderstorms or the like and she is much more tolerant of the vacuum than she use to be. I continue to expose Haddie to new people, places and things weekly.


Haddie at 12 weeks. Weighs 10 1/2 lbs.

Haddie Mc Gee at 11 weeks of age. 9 1/2 lbs



Why be a guardian for ADNE:

PROS:  To be picked for a potential breeding candidate, I look first for temperament, training ability and structure. So each pup has to meet this criteria foremost. I then seek the opinion of my trainer that assesses all my pups from each litter - we have to agree on the outstanding puppy from her perspective as well. Think of it as 'my pick of the litter'. Although a a completely fenced in yard is a plus; it is not required as Invisible Fence is acceptable provided you are responsible.

When we talk about price, keep in mind that if this candidate does become a breeding doodle for ADNE, your $1,250.00 deposit is returned to you and you own the Labradoodle free and clear after only three litters. I typically never breed any of my girls after they are five years old, so many times, there has only been two litters born. There are other incentives as well that would be explained in the contract.

As far as routine vet visits, you can do most of the normal stuff with your favorite local vet.

CONS:  You need to live close enough to me to make the contract do-able for both of us. Most of the time, the guardian home will be driving (to me) or to my vet in Rochester, NH for testing. When it comes time for breeding, the dam typically goes to the stud 's home or my vet. This needs to be factored into your schedule. Sometimes, it may interfere with your life at home but with good communication and flexibility, it works just great. I have been known to meet you at a convenient spot when timing is an issue. If you have common sense and a flexible nature contact me!

You will be gone from your pet for several weeks when she delivers and weans her litter. However, I am quite accommodating with regard to you visiting often and highly encourage it. My requirements are quite high which means 'average' generally is not acceptable. Of course, this has NO reflection on the pet quality of the Labradoodle!

If you have further questions, please contact me. I am happy to discuss any and all points.

No comments:

Post a Comment